There are plenty of irrigation systems that are connected to the internet, but I enjoy playing around with this stuff so I’m making my own. I have just started the project, but here is what I have so far. There was just one on woot today for $164 that looked very polished and intriguing. There is also one for the Pi that comes with a pre-built open source program that has many of the features I want. That said, I think I can do it cheaper and get what I want. I also have plans to add a rain gauge to it to make it work even better, but that’s for another post after I get this project done.
- JBtek 8 Channel DC 5V Relay Module – $8.98
- Particle photon – $19 + $5 shipping
- Wires – $6.99 (had them from another project)
- Mini Breadboards – $6.98 (6 pack) (had them from another project)
Total cost: $9 + $24 + $2 ≈ $35 (breadboard and wires $2)
User controls requirements:
- I would like it to be web base.
- I would like to make this work google calendar.
- Plug into the weather to determine if they need to be run.
- I have permanent restrictions which would reduce me to just being able to run a specific two days a week, so I need to run it in the evening if the forecast didn’t pan out.
- Email notification when a watering is cancelled.
- I would also like to run specific zones on command so that I can more easily test zones for problems.
- I want a log of when it ran and for how long on each zone.
- Each zone needs to be configurable to run for different lengths of time.
- I’d like an option to skip the next watering with a button click.
I will keep this post updated with my progress.